What are you nostalgic for?

June 05 2021

I thought this might be an interesting topic.

I was cleaning out my house the other day and I found my old vinyl albums tucked away. I started thinking about how special the experience of buying music was was back in the day. To buy vinyl and look at the cover and take out the album and listen to the music. Read all the notes on the cover and look at the cover work. Read the song lyrics. Just really the whole experience and the excitement of your favourite artist releasing new material. Something tangible.

I'm of an age where I have been in a digital and non digital world. I can see the benefits of new tech and love it but there are also many lovely memories attached to simpler times.

What brings up feelings of nostalgia in you?

Comments

• Kokoflamingo

Kokoflamingo

3 years ago

Sitting around the dinner table, big family chats, no mobile phones distracting anyone. I make a point of having dinner with my son at least once a week. We work different shifts and I love our dinner chats.

• Obi1kenietzsche

Obi1kenietzsche

3 years ago

Handwritten letters I received way back when I was 20. Ah! First love cuts so deep!
    I can still smell (now very very faintly) the perfume on them.
    No texting, no emojis, just words... and yet those pure and uncomplicated emotions put onto paper way back then still have the power, all these years latter, to spin me off into a little planet of nostalgic warmth. 😊
    Obi1

• AnnieWhichway

AnnieWhichway

3 years ago

Ah, the good old days.
    When it wasn't life and death of having unprotected sex. And doing drugs was a sneaky joint out the back......

And the fuel for a 100k trip was a bale of hay....jokin.....

• NudesRus

NudesRus

3 years ago

Whenever I hear the rumble of a V8 Torana drive past it brings a tear to my eye as memories of a misspent youth come flooding back when being a “hoon” wasn’t such a bad thing. If only I had known what they would be worth today I would be sitting on a nice retirement fund 🤷‍♂️

• countrytouch82

countrytouch82

3 years ago

Family time watching Hey Hey It's Saturday. The nostolgia obviously was the cause for the renewed episodes in more recent years, but unfortunately the times had changed, lots of people now in families are being entertained individually or on seperate devices. It was different with only one tv, no internet, and limited channel choices.

• countrytouch82

countrytouch82

3 years ago

Also, while I didn't always appreciate them at the time (ie at school), the old fashioned Aussie bush dances (remember heel & toe polka?) were actually quite fun. (Maybe I'm just a country hillbilly lol)

• countrytouch82

countrytouch82

3 years ago

PS OP I still have cassettes :p

• RHP User

RHP User

3 years ago

Real T.V shows back in the day like Knight Rider, Incredible Hulk, Battle star Galactica, Grange Hill, getting a real Valentines card not a txt, those old hand dial 80s phones so no one could contact you 24/7 like the boss these days, getting into mischief with mates while riding our BMX bikes all day and coming home at dinner time....how lucky was it growing up an 80s kid.

• MsSuperFoxy

MsSuperFoxy

3 years ago

My mum's roast pork and veggies, served with pan gravy and apple sauce. The crackling was to die for!!!
    While it was cooling down, I'd always pinch a bit, when she wasn't looking. To this very day, I still can't help but pinch a bit of the crackling while waiting for it to cool.
    Every time I smell a roast pork cooking, it takes me way back to my childhood.
    When I left home and would visited my parents, my mum would always do my favourite; roast pork and veggies.
    Sadly, it's been a few years since I've had my mum's roast pork/vegies.
    Ms Foxy

• teamaj2

teamaj2

3 years ago

I love this forum post . Possibly as I was born in the 60s , I’m very romantic , I love nostalgia and I truly think there is a lot to miss .
    I miss the excitement of saving up for a new vinyl record . Walking the 45 minutes to the local Allans music store and buying that latest release vinyl .
    I could possibly write a short novel but one of my all time favourites were the Drive -In cinemas . Being a young child sitting in our pyjamas and dressing gown in the back seat of the Ford Falcon on a pile of cushions so we could see. The later teenage years kissing for hours on end in the naughty boys - Shaggin Wagon . Waking in the morning with pash rash and love bites . Those virginal years were lots of fun . Ax

• RHP User

RHP User

3 years ago

Oh god.
    This post is sublime.

* Playing tennis on the street
    * Hitting ‘record’ on your tape deck within the first four beats of a song on the Top 40, cause you recognised it that quickly as you made your own mixed tape
    * Fish and chips every Friday night in Summer
    * Riding my bike EVERYWHERE, even three suburbs away
    * Hand written notes to my friends with stickers on them
    * Staying out until the sun went down
    * Going late night food shopping in my PJ’s as a kid
    * Drive-ins in the back of the EH station wagon, reversed up so we could lie in the back, blankets, pillows and pj’s
    * Blue light discos
    * Walking barefoot in Summer, over scorching hot sidewalks and box-tree nuts, so you could get 20c worth of mixed lollies from the corner shop, that was literally on the corner.

• RHP User

RHP User

3 years ago

Remember walking down to the local record shop ( no way way dad would drive due to the cost of fuel back in the day) and picking up the slip of paper that had the Aussie top40 on , maybe buying a single 45 , to play back at home after one cleaned all the fluff off the stylus .

• Lunchbox73

Lunchbox73

3 years ago

Pre globalist Australia. News clips of the way we used to be always leave me heartbroken at what we've become.