Wanting to learn and practice Shibari ties.

December 01 2020

So I (M) have been captivated by and wanting to learn and practice Shibari ties for a while and was thinking about asking my wife to get me some ropes and a mannequin to practice them on for Christmas. I feel that it will mean I can take my time with learning the steps rather than feeling like I have to rush if she's getting bored.

Trying to figure out if a full body mannequin or just a chest (female form) would be the best to get started with. If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations I would very much appreciate them.

On the same note I was hoping someone with some experience could recommend some good learning resources. I'd much prefer Youtube tutorials and such as I'm more of a hands on/visual learner and struggle with translating something described on a page into practice.

Comments

• LibraLovers

LibraLovers

3 years ago

Much better imo to stretch your budget on getting a better quality rope than a mannequin (jute is my personal favourite). Since a lot of the leg and full body ties involve bending and moving the limbs, a full mannequin probably won't be very helpful. For chest harnesses like a TK/box tie where most people start, there's no need to buy a mannequin - just use the back of a chair until you're comfortable trying it on a real person. You can learn simple leg ties like a futomomo on yourself, same goes for basic groin harnesses (just make sure you follow proper safety precautions for self-bondage e.g. safety shears and a buddy or your phone within reach).

For video tutorials I highly recommend a site called Shibari Study - you could ask for a membership for Christmas. There are also in-person classes or peer sharing sessions at your local kink academy if you're in a major city and your wife is happy to attend as your model (can be found on fet life events).

And I'm sure you don't need to be told, but please please do not skip the fundamentals and safety info before diving into actually tying people! You need to understand where the arteries and nerves run so you don't accidentally injure someone when tying them. Have fun 😊

• RHP User

RHP User

3 years ago

There are plenty of books on the topic. Classes are always great if there are any in your area.

• ReyandJean

ReyandJean

3 years ago

There may be skillshare nights near to you where people with similar interests gather. The fetish crowd are very helpful and non-judgemental.
    Try to get hold of Douglas Kent's Complete Shibari books. Volume 1: LAND is a good start.
    Try search on fetlife.

• RHP User

RHP User

3 years ago

Avalon - Michele Paolo is a great experienced teacher and offers online courses. Highly recommended

• Redux

Redux

3 years ago

The purists might shudder however to begin you can get 50m of 6mm Macrame cotton rope from Bunnings for under $20. It is a 3-ply twist so leaves lovely impressions. It's also so cheap that you'll have zero qualms cutting it to shreds or trialling the best lengths for your bunny's dimensions.

• KECOUPLE

KECOUPLE

3 years ago

Www.theduchy.com has some great video tutorials.
    Rope is a personal choice. We use a cotton blend that can be purchased in large quantities and cut to length online. Similarly you can buy hand dyed and tie specific ropes from various rope sites but that can get very pricey. Twisted monk is one we purchased electro conductive rope from.