Vocalists of the modern era

June 16 2024

Best contemporary female vocalist: Kate Bush.

Best contemporary male vocalist: Freddy Mercury.

Who else moght contend for the titles? 🤷‍♀️

Comments

• DMSR1999

DMSR1999

3 months ago

Both amazing vocalists and musicians but I think you may be stretching it a bit by calling them 'contemporary'. Are you just wanting comments relating to quality of the artists voice, or are you including musicianship as well?

• FeistyFatty

FeistyFatty

3 months ago

Kate Bush??? Wowsers ...... Not sure about either artist to be honest 🤔

• NeoAndTrin

NeoAndTrin

3 months ago

The contest was over as soon as you mentioned Freddie.

• Alexis

Alexis

3 months ago

Not sure about the very best, but two that come to mind are Myles Kennedy from Alter Bridge and Adele.

• EarthQueen

EarthQueen

3 months ago

Florence Welch. Hozier

• MrSin68

MrSin68

3 months ago

Stevie nicks

• Lullah

Lullah

3 months ago

Gone too soon 😞

Whitney Houston

• nightingale8

nightingale8

2 months ago

I quite like the female half of Sofi Tukker. Her voice quality is so lovely, no vocal acrobatics, just velvet. Ridiculous popcorn music though if you can tolerate that

Camille has a creative dynamic range and control eg Money Note. A fabulous kooky Frenchie with a sense of humour

• Lullah

Lullah

2 months ago

Alanis Morissette. Pat Benatar. Lzzy Hale.

• MrSquiggle1981

MrSquiggle1981

2 months ago

George Michael, Frank Sinatra, Mariah Carey, John Farhnam, Delta Goodrem, Whitney Houston and Freddie Mercury.

They're not all my favourites, but they all have exceptional vocal range and talent.

• Bren6974

Bren6974

2 months ago

Hard to go past Freddie,Eddie Vedder Is amazing ,Chris Cornell r.i.p,Roy Orbision was amazing Tom Jones depends which era and genre,Female Bonnie Tyler,Lady gaga,Adele Melissa Ethridge so many

• mark20973

mark20973

2 months ago

Floor Jansen vocalist of Nightwish, hands down one of the best vocalists ever.

• Bluebird72

Bluebird72

2 months ago

Cody Johnson. Carly Pearce.

• MrandMrsEss

MrandMrsEss

2 months ago

So FB must be reading what I type as I open it today to this post:
    On April 19, 2016, scientists confirmed that Freddie Mercury had one of the most extraordinary voices ever.
    A team of researchers from Austria, the Czech Republic and Sweden dedicated their research to the voice of Freddie Mercury.
    Dr. Christian Herbst of the University of Vienna, in his article published in the journal Logopedics Phoniatrics Vocology, wrote:
    "The emergence of subharmonics helps create the impression of a vocal system pushed to its limits, used with extreme mastery. These characteristics, combined with a fast and irregular vibrato, may have contributed to creating Freddie Mercury's eccentric and theatrical character ."
    Scientists discovered that Freddie Mercury's vocal cords moved at a faster speed than others. His vibrato, typically oscillating between 5.4 and 6.9 Hz, reached 7.04 Hz, a frequency so high that it vibrated the throat in a way that not even Pavarotti was able to replicate.
    Freddie demonstrated a mastery of subharmonics, a singing style only manageable by Tuvan singers, and did so with disarming ease.
    The conclusion was unequivocal: Freddie Mercury possessed a unique voice in the Rock 'n' Roll panorama, making him one of the most singular artists ever. (A truth we already knew)
    Unrivalled, unmatched, extraordinary - A Legend!