Motorcycles have been getting a bit of a mention here of late.

January 10 2019

Not surprisingly a fair few of us have bikes and love them. So here we have a thread about bikes, it's not just for those who have and love bikes but for anyone who has any feeling about bikes in any way. So if you have one, used to have one, want one, or don't want one but have feelings about them, the this the thread.Tell us what you have, had or want or just dream about. Tell us about anything and everything bike related in your life..I was thinking about this thread and was spurred into action by a woman's profile I read. She stipulated that she was not interested in anybody who smoked or rode motorcycles! Her marital status was Widow, and she said she already lost someone to a motorcycle death and she wasn't going take the risk again. I felt for her, a few of my mates have left a widow behind too.Motorcycles, like aviation are not inherently dangerous but they are very unforgiving with bravado, inattention and complacency.

Comments

• RHP User

RHP User

5 years ago

Bikes have not been kind to me, the earliest memory being a ride as a kid and burning my leg badly because no one helped me off.

And do you know what riding on the back of a bike for a few hours does to long hair? Not lately I guess, my bad. 😈

Think I'll leave it there, 🍑

• Eiliethiya

Eiliethiya

5 years ago

got to ride my bike for the first time in 5mths! Was awesome...nice weekend ride from Toowoomba to Bris to finally bring it home! And now I'm going away for work for almost a month...so no riding again 😒

• Freaky_Fun

Freaky_Fun

5 years ago

I understand where she is coming from.

I'm that person that has to pick up the pieces (literally) from the roadway or knock on families doors to tell them their loved one isn't coming home.

I'm not one to tell people how to live their lives but I'd be lying if l said l didn't feel sick in the stomach when my friends ride them, Eiliethiya 😌 or talk about getting another one, Phoenix 🤨.
    And it's only because l think the world of them and I'm a big wuss 🙈

Wishing you safe travels always ❤

• boobsandbusted

boobsandbusted

5 years ago

love my bike ,love my family and friends ,so i tend to ride alone or with one sensible mate a lot of the time ,too much stupid shit happens in group rides only takes one dickhead to fuck your day up

mr b

• RHP User

RHP User

5 years ago

I myself have been riding , since i could walk. Whether thats a dinky down the back stairs in an attempt to get to the out house faster, or encouraging mum to push the pram a little faster.
    I don't much ride on the road, I prefer off road riding, particularly long distance off road riding. Think of it as high speed bush walking.
    It relaxes me, gives me an opportunity to get my thoughts together, being part of a machine, and moving with it, or moving my body on it as an imput is exhilarating.
    Bikes ive had. DRZ 400, Honda XR 650, Triumph Tiger 800, BMW R1200GS and GSA, Husqvarna TR 650, Husaberg FE450Currently a KTM 1290 Super Adventure R
    As B&B points out, i like to ride by myself, or with a mate. Done a Useless ( Ulysses) group ride once when i first got to Perth. Never ever again

• RHP User

RHP User

5 years ago

I have been off bikes for a few years now - I used to ride super sports and dirt bikes before that . Had several trips to hospital but apart from bruises and skin and a few small bone in my right foot managed to get away without too many injuries- and in all honesty the worst get off I had was from being a dick head.
    Once my little guy was born I sold my last bike. I just didn’t have the nerve for it anymore.
    Recently though I got the hankerings, things went a bit skew if in life and I thought a bit of two wheel time might be just the ticket so I lashed out and bout a duke 390. Big enough to be fun but not stupid ridic like my r6’s . I’m loving riding again .

• bonefide

bonefide

5 years ago

Unfortunately I know what your saying, ride safe you mob.

• Eiliethiya

Eiliethiya

5 years ago

I try to act like a sneaky lil kid and not tell you when I'm going out riding 😂Hard for you not to notice when I mention it on Facebook though lolSorry...not sorry. Love you! xx 😉

• The_Phoenix

The_Phoenix

5 years ago

Been riding since I was 4. I guess bikes will always be my thing.

I’m very much a dirt/adventure guy since my farming days and the neighbours had one of Qld largest private supercross tracks.

Bike less at the moment but the itch is very strong.
    My most enjoyable rides are where I just throw a dart on the map and go. Of course I plan meticulously with all sorts of contingencies.

I follow motogp, AMA moto and supercross. Erzberg and all the world enduro stuff.

My bucketlist is to spectate the Erzberg rodeo and the Dakar.

Ms Freaky. I adore you to 😘, for now a new bike is off the radar but I will always be a biker.

Phoenix

• RHP User

RHP User

5 years ago

Is on SBS at around 6pm (WA time)Good to see Toby price upthere in the hunt

• The_Phoenix

The_Phoenix

5 years ago

Gr8

TP is a gun. Riding with a broken scaphoid 😳

Have you seen the bet he made with Laia Sanz?

😆😆😆

• RHP User

RHP User

5 years ago

Quoting 'The_Phoenix'
    Gr8

TP is a gun. Riding with a broken scaphoid 😳

Have you seen the bet he made with Laia Sanz?

😆😆😆
    And as of last night he's 1st outright......Way to go TB!!What was the bet?

• RHP User

RHP User

5 years ago

Im guessing getting his head shaved by Laia was the bet?He was in need of a haircut........But that was just brutal lol

• RHP User

RHP User

5 years ago

I have been riding since age 16, road & track but recently also adventure riding. I have lost a few mates to the sport, but I have also lost friends to other things - cars, drugs, bad luck... I acknowledge the risks & try to minimise them as much as reasonable. As previous posters have noted, group rides can / do bring out the worst in people! I found track days a great way to learn, safer than riding on the road, & had the pleasing side effect of slowing me down when riding on the road (not the place to try & ride fast). What I ride & the way I ride has changed over the years, but I hope & plan to keep riding... I love the sense of freedom, the independence, the adventure, & perhaps the 'danger'.

• 0z_boy

0z_boy

5 years ago

Current rides Ducati multistrada DS1000, honda 919 hornet, husqvana WC450,
    Could write pages on some of the injuries Ive received over the years and currently recovering now from my latest mishap after thinking I was still 16 and coming off the husky 450 ballbreaker at speed.Busted left scapula, torn ligaments right hand, cracked left elbow, dislocated right thumb, and lost a fair bit of bark off the elbows and hip.Never really been into cars and only bought a 4x4 recently to get my jet-ski in and out of the water.
    I have lots of big boy toys and have had a couple of people say Im entering a second childhood phase to which I usually respond with, BULLSHIT, Ive havent left my first one yet hahahaha
    Safe ridin guys and keep the shiny side up :D

• RHP User

RHP User

5 years ago

2014 Harley Davidson Wide Glide.

14” ape hangers.

Vance and Hines loud radius pipes.

Pure freedom!

• Lullah

Lullah

5 years ago

I would love to see this introduced into Australia.
    Bikers Against Bullying USA
    What is Bikers Against Bullies USA?We Fight Bullying in Communities Across the NationWho we are: Bikers Against Bullies USA (BAB USA) is a national not-for-profit organization created by bikers to raise awareness and empower the community to fight the terrible effects of bullying on young people through education, community outreach and fundraising.Mission Statement: BAB USA is a not-for-profit group created by bikers -- but not limited to bikers -- that is committed to creating awareness and educating both children and adults on the benefits of living in a society of respect for each other combined with self empowerment. We strive to create a society in which our mutual respect will create a new role model for others, and through our actions enable others to have the confidence to emulate this behavior and reiterate its positive message to others.Our children deserve to be safe, to be empowered and to live their lives without fear. ​

• Lullah

Lullah

5 years ago

• Lullah

Lullah

4 years ago

How's everyone enjoying their bike rides during the warmer months?

• SSExplorer

SSExplorer

4 years ago

Just found this thread. Well my mum did anything to keep me off bikes for the first half (I hope) of my life but a very dark patch in life had me say stuff it and I bought a bike. Did well over 50000km on my L’s and P’s.
    I love so many kinds of bikes but have a soft spot for 🇬🇧.
    I find riding truly cathartic, if you’re a surfer (once was) you will know the feeling of catching an awesome wave. I guess there’s many pastimes that give that mix of thrill and peace.
    I also love it as it’s a real leveller, no one cares who you are (unless they ride a Harley 😂), what you do for a living but just join in the appreciation of what we are doing in that moment. I’ve also found non riders really reach out when you’re traveling in your own- was once asked to join a family on part of their family holiday, so sweet!
    I don’t ride as much now I have a young family but still have a bike under covers in the shed as some days it’s the only thing in the world that can relax me.
    That said, one can never relax too much as all riders know every other form of transport on the road is specifically trying to kill just us!
    Would I like to see my kids on bikes?
    I’d probably be much happier if it isn’t their thing!

• RHP User

RHP User

4 years ago

I was lucky enough to be introduced to motorbikes when I was a kid. Have ridden dirt bikes and road bikes. Agree with comments above likening it to things such as surfing. For me it's not about going completely flat out (although who doesn't like a bit of speed...), just the wind going over your body, the sound, the vibrations of the engine going through the frame, leaning through a nice long corner. It's just sensory excitement to the body. Many years ago, got introduced to multi-day rides with friends and that just made me light up from the inside - I've done an 8 day trip solo now and its something I can never forget.

I'm happy riding with friends or solo. I've done a few group rides over the years, but unless I know the groups reputation, I'm not a big fan, a lot of the time they attract the wrong type of attention. My closest ride is Old Pacific Hwy - but if I ride there, I only do it during non-peak times - weekends it seems to be constantly used as a race track at peak hours - not that I mind what people do to themselves, it's just that they are at risk to take out someone else is what gets me.

I've lost a friend, and friends of friends over the years to it. It's something you have to respect for sure and not take up lightly. I have a friend now who has extremely poor concentration driving a car just take up motorcycling, much to all our friends recommendation for him not to - it's his choice but fear his longevity.

Haven't done much riding over Christmas at all - bushfires destroyed my holiday planned adventures, but my needs are minor to those that have lost so much from this.

• hootymcjugs

hootymcjugs

4 years ago

Ah well, I am probably the worst person to comment on the pros and cons of bikes because I have ridden them my entire life and spent many years racing on tracks. Just finished a dirt bike riding holiday in NZ.
    Despite our profile photos showing Ms HootyMcJugs on the trusty Triumph, she actually never rides on it at all. We have two kids and the idea is that if we both die in an accident then they get orphaned. So, I do actively look for others on this site that would be interested in going for rides. She is happy to meet up afterwards.
    Despite my past racing history I do not actually ride fast on public roads and really dislike those who take unnecessary risks.
    They are more a lifelong addiction for me than a passing fad. When the road is clear, there are some nice curves in the hills, and the cool wind is forcing its way past your skin - my soul really does start to sing.
    But, if you don't like them then that is ok by me, Ms HootyMcJugs doesn't particularly like them and we have been together 25 years - so it doesn't seem to be an obstacle to a good relationship. I've never really understood the attraction of jet skis for example - but have never actually ridden one - so possibly I am not qualified to comment on that either - Lol!!!

• House_of_Fun

House_of_Fun

4 years ago

I love my bike (Betty). Moto Guzzi V7II racer. I'm a big believer in ATGATT, so summer can be a bit uncomfortable but I am happy to pay that price.

Recently did a 4k km trip from Sydney to Adelaide and back via Snow Mountains Hwy, Gt. Alpine Rd, Gt. Ocean Rd, Alpine Way....bliss.

Did the journey on my own over a couple of weeks, stopping over night whenever I felt like I had done enough for the day. I found some great little towns and pubs to stay in before setting off again the next morning. Despite some pretty average weather at times, I would do it all again in a heartbeat!

• Friskymister

Friskymister

4 years ago

Have ridden since I was four years of age. Stopped ridding for a few years after losing my brother to a bike accident and couldn’t get back on for some years. Now I’m back on off-road bikes and occasionally a ride on road. Someone compared it to surfing in this thread and I would have to agree, it’s about being free and not thinking or worrying about the day to day. It’s a release from your burdens and for that I feel more alive than ever.