How to spot catfish!

July 04 2023

Hey RHP Community.

A few days ago, we wrote a forum post here about catfishing and how we were the unfortunate victims of it. We want to say how grateful we are for the support from others on here and from the staff too. However, today we found another one! because we asked for something that would 100% prove that they were real but they could not!

Because it worked so well and given us our recent experience and all of your lovely support. we wanted to share how we did it, and how easy it is for you all to to do it.

Catfish collect photos of others to bait others, we live in a day and age where people are showing off their best angles, its hard to work out whats real or not but if you want something that catfish simply cannot do. All you have to ask for the following after some good conversation.

- A recent photo of the person that contains a similar setting or clothing featured in a previous picture received or shown on public profile
- A time stamp on piece of paper or written on hand (date and time, preferably during the conversation)

This is very easy to produce, but a catfish cannot send this because they rely on saved pictures from others. Not live ones...
It doesn't even need to be an cheeky photo either and to be fair, it shouldn't be. Always be prepared to offer to do the same too because if they can't produce something in this day and age with phone cameras and webcams on a simple request as that. Its obvious. They're fake. Report em!

We were just chatting up with someone today for a hour or so and thought we were about to get somewhere but after using this method above, They wrote back that with "What else do you want me to say?" with enthusiasm but we stuck to our guns with the date and time request 5 minutes later. Blocked, Profile gone.

Try it next time, its up to us to keep this community safe!
Also, we wanna hear from others if theres any other ideas or ways of spotting catfish.

Comments

• CliveWing

CliveWing

10 months ago

Akshully, the state of artificial intelligence image generators is now such that you can give one a reference image to generate new images, new poses, new clothing, new backgrounds. Handwritten text I'm not sure about, but certainly soon if not already now.
    Having said that, scammers probably cant be bothered. Its not like they're doing rocket science now.

• MsSuperFoxy

MsSuperFoxy

10 months ago

Reverse Google image and Tin Eye is your best friend. 😉
    Seriously, I just can't be fucked messaging them or asking them to do anything.
    I just follow steps below.
    1. They want to bench and chat for weeks on end- Yeah, Nah, ignore them
    2. They only have one photo - Yeah, Nah. NEXT!
    3. They are dentists, work for ASIO, are Italian/Russian Mafa. Ie won't show their faces. Yeah, Nah- They have a hidden agenda. Ninjas are OK. 😇
    4. Refusal to have a phone chat. Yeah, Nah- Everybody has phones.
    5. Refusal to meet in person - Yeah, Nah- Ive heard all the excuses. NEXT!

Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. ;)

Ms Foxy

• RHP User

RHP User

10 months ago

Alot of people say I am insincere because I don't respond to messages. But I come here for events and I guess there is some small part of me that hopes there is someone similar to myself on here. Maybe not. But anyway, I always, always ask for a video message of the man holding a note of my choice before I will even consider meeting them. Unless I meet them at an event or know them from somewhere else.

• RHP User

RHP User

10 months ago

It doesn't mean anything...your research is like a sports game and contradictory. This is a stupid approach, I think.... If I was asked to prove in the same way as you, I would block access to my profile. I've had a few times when guys doubted my profile - I just sent a link to my FB profile.

• MFMHotWife

MFMHotWife

10 months ago

Got Catfished ourselves a couple of weeks back. Was in the process of arranging a few extra blokes for a GB, One bloke we had played with before, that was a certainty, another was great in communication and turned up at a venue right on time. Few other potentials I sent details of time and venue but all disappeared, all have since been blocked! But at the meeting point, us three blokes noticed another bloke nearby, constantly on his phone, never approached our "Group" but instead casually and briefly interacted with my wife when she headed to the bathroom, he never did introduce himself! Guessing that refers to the term "Catfish"? From now on, I'll certainly be asking for photos described in your forum post. Thanks for sharing your experience and the advice!

• Obi1kenietzsche

Obi1kenietzsche

10 months ago

I like personal verification very early in the process when chatting with someone. This includes verifying what they actually look like (face) and what they actually want from this platform. Otherwise what is the point?
    With so many wishy-washy, unverified, guest profiles on here (thanks RHP!), and despite the obvious clues, sometimes determining the fakes from the genuine can be quite difficult (men notwithstanding).
    Of course, we men often throw discernment and common sense out the window and send off messages willy-nilly to all and sundry (one pic of a pair of breasts will do it!), but if people engaged in verification first then perhaps they wouldn’t get so disappointed by being catfished and/or having their egos bruised as a result.
    I will put the effort into immediate mutual verification if I’m interested in someone, because, what with all the aeronautical and space exploration stuff I have to deal with on a daily basis, I really do not have the time to waste conversing (on a personal level) with someone I’m not attracted to, let alone a fake or a catfish. 😉.
    Obi1

• countrytouch82

countrytouch82

10 months ago

They look like normal fish but the whiskers give them away :p

• BrisbaneHotMale

BrisbaneHotMale

10 months ago

I’ve been catfished with some single males who were pretending they were MF couples and looking for extra hot 🔥 men but after some chats they asked me for contact information while they couldn’t verify their profiles. Re the “how-to” method, I rely on the app first and then use video calls if needs.

• Naddazz2

Naddazz2

10 months ago

We simply ask for a picture of them in the mirror holding a piece of paper with todays date and our names on it saying hello.
    It works every time.

• Obi1kenietzsche

Obi1kenietzsche

10 months ago

Standard practice and sound advice, but unfortunately that method has not worked well for me in the past.
    I mean, do you know how hard it is to write “Hello Obi1kenietzsche” in reverse!

• WELoveToPlay

WELoveToPlay

10 months ago

We have also been catfished once . We have been using the ask for a picture of the person or couple with a piece of paper with our profile name in with the picture. It always sorts them out , whether they are a fake or just wasting our time . Admin needs to get their act together to make it safer for the genuine people on here .

• SweetSerenade

SweetSerenade

10 months ago

I think the word catfish here is used to simply describe a fake profile. Our understanding of a catfish is they actually do have their own photos that are very well taken, but when you meet in person they look nothing like their pics, and theyre far less attractive to us than their profile led us to believe.

Best way to avoid a catfish situation is to attend meet n greet events and meet real people presented as they are in reality. Often weve met and played with people who we haven't even seen their profile on rhp thanks to events

• SweetSerenade

SweetSerenade

10 months ago

Also remember in the messages part of rhp, go to settings and set recieve messages from: "verified profiles only". That'll save you 90% of the fake profiles

• FeistyFatty

FeistyFatty

9 months ago

Nah, really not required. Your "radar" will improve in time. After 17 years in the lifestyle I've been catfished (genuinely) 3 times. Surprised you're experiencing it to this point. I dont talk on the phone, or video chat ... Neither does Hubby because we don't see any need. Don't overthink these things though..... Like someone..... Meet..... Go from there. If someone ever asked me to jump through these hoops, it would be an instant turn off and onto the next..... Plenty of fish and all that ☺️

• RHP User

RHP User

9 months ago

I’d be very happy to provide this sort of photo proof, if asked. Been catfished a few times myself.

• Mischeviouslad

Mischeviouslad

9 months ago

Fake profiles - The photos are usually a dead giveaway

So to me it would seem that many of those complaining about someone they messaged who is a no-show….. failed to see the obvious red flags in the photo clues

Just sayin

• RHP User

RHP User

9 months ago

Great forum guys thanks
    I told someone I thought they were fake and the site administrator blocked me for a week! Go figure In the days of cyber safety promotion the site deserted us

• Jack_Hammers

Jack_Hammers

9 months ago

I just meet in a public place first. Does away with all this nonsense

• KenandBarbie

KenandBarbie

9 months ago

I get a friend request, I message, I don’t get a reply! WTF Is that?

• JennaTalls

JennaTalls

6 months ago

I tell them to wear a certain coloured shirt and hold up "x" amount of fingers. Soon sorts the genuine from fake ones . LOL

• RHP User

RHP User

6 months ago

the meet for coffee trick always works

• RHP User

RHP User

3 months ago

Thank you for this thread, very new here and had my profile photos stolen, come across them occasionally under different names…

• Shyfungal22

Shyfungal22

a month ago

I think I came across one but not sure. Could just be unusual. Have been chatting for a while. He never wants to meet but talks like he wants to. Calls me different names, ex wife maybe during chats. Very unusual.

• BreezyMeadows

BreezyMeadows

a month ago

Wow so that behaviour has a name, its happened to me too many times, now my block list is getting ever larger each week and the losers aren't becoming wiser, hopefully i'll wake through all the wankers eventually arrivoing to meet the nice people who are hiding here and there in here ..

• Coupleneed1girl

Coupleneed1girl

a month ago

Great post.
    We got caught a few times in the begining. we have no learnt even some of the verified accounts are fake too. So we dont trust til verified. it may be a bit harsh and cut down our prospects but we no longer share nudes, maybe a few unidentifiable raunchy pix but until we video chat with them we keep the convo to generic "So what you into" ,"what you like", "when you want to meet or video chat." a catfisher will get bored with that. i would rather loses chances of playdates than get catfished again.