SSExplorer

SSExplorer

M50 F38

Best places in Australia to live, work and play?

December 25 2019

A hijacked post got me looking at real estate in Adelaide, a place I visited once when I was 15. It has never crossed my mind as a place to live even though I do like a smaller, more relaxed city to coastal country vibe.
It’s got me thinking about all the unknown gems out there. So how about we compose a thread of everyone’s fave places, I guess a brief mention of your least faves may be interesting too.
So we live outside Newcastle and must say it provided pretty much everything. We have lovely beaches, Bush, farmland, lakes and wineries. We are close to Sydney which is handy. Most of our dearest friends are close by which is possibly the biggest draw card for us. Housing prices are not the worst but still our dream house is out of reach but it’s quite easy to have a good life around here. Negatives?
Well we are a coal mining city so one is best not to mention anything slightly environmental 😂. Mostly people are very nice until they get behind the wheel and then they become the most nasty people I’ve driven next to anywhere.
Other places I have opinions on:
Central Qld - too hot and isolated for me
Brissy - seems nice but never lived there
Melbourne - I love the inner city and country Victoria but never lived there
Coastal NSW - was fun growing up
Byron - love the land and am a hippie at heart but feel the hippies might just annoy me if I lived among them lol
Perth - feels like Newcastle but never lived there.
So shoot, where’s your best place in Australia?

- Posted from rhpmobile

Comments

• Obi1kenietzsche

Obi1kenietzsche

4 years ago

Nice topic OP!

For me it’s Brunswick Heads (Northern NSW).

It’s what I call my “still point” (When I go back there I can just step off the wildly spinning world and just be still).

Obi1 xx

• SpicyKale

SpicyKale

4 years ago

SSE, sorry for that hijack... it was Mr Dragons fault, honest 😬

We've traveled around a reasonable amount of Australia, but have only ever lived in SA. There's been more than one spot that we've stopped and thought, damn we could live here. But, it's always been a romantic notion that didn't consider work, schools, family, friends etc... Depot beach on the nsw south coast, Cumberland river on the Vic surf coast, Pemberton near Margaret river... can you see the pattern, quiet, stunning and off the beaten track.

Even somewhere as busy as Sydney has a huge appeal. Although to live somewhere that we'd enjoy, we'd both be working full time and that would destroy our current work life balance. It brings us back to our current home, the Adelaide hills. Close to the city, great wineries, restaurants, stunning spot, just that little bit slower than the city. Unfortunately it's an hour from our local nude beach☹️ It's an interesting mix of green leaning people like us that have escaped the city, the very wealthy in some of the long established well heeled towns and mortgage belt in new expanding subdivisions.

Adelaide's biggest downfall is a slightly higher unemployment rate and lower wages depending on the industry. Housing prices are significantly lower than the eastern states. We've got friends near you that we're visiting in March that would have payed four times what we did ten years ago. We're not comparing apples to apples, but you get the idea. You might be in trouble if you're complete party animals that want to go hard every weekend, but that's not where we are in life anyway. We do have an awesome swingers club currently, which is always a bonus 😊

Sorry for the rambling post, but hopefully you get where we're coming from

• RHP User

RHP User

4 years ago

Speaking from personal experiences. Having lived a few years in Adelaide as a kid the basically spending most of my schooling years in Sydney. Residing in Brisbane for the past decade or so. It’s by far my favourite place to live. I adore Brisbane and wish I moved here sooner!

• SSExplorer

SSExplorer

4 years ago

Spicy it sounds like you have a great balance and a wonderful surrounds and interesting people around you...pretty perfect!
    I have a friend who is trying to find the perfect place for him and his love to settle and is too spoilt for choice to try and make a decision. I do think those little roots such as friends and family do keep us tied to one locale rather than many we might enjoy.
    Personally I see many people fit in a place where most around them are really similar to themselves, I am yet to find a place where I feel like that, I’m guessing I’m just not that kind of person even though I’d quite like to be!

• peasandcarrots

peasandcarrots

4 years ago

Being right into fishing this is the perfect spot, half hour to the beach, a little longer the other way and and your chasing trout along a mountain stream. Or paddling my kayak on a lake or estuary. I have a decent job. Housing is affordable.its fairly quiet, we could never even imagine ourselves living in a city. But I think the biggest thing to wherever you live is the friends and family you're able to surround yourself with.

Negative is being so far from the city there is no swingers clubs and parties.

• peasandcarrots

peasandcarrots

4 years ago

Ob1, my grandparents used to live in the caravan park along the river and boat harbour there. Used to go and stay with them when I was a kid. Loved it there, but I can't imagine it would still be a caravan park

• bonefide

bonefide

4 years ago

Northern Territory is like nowhere else. The things i love most about living in the Top End are:The endless summerThe relaxed atmosphereIt's quite family friendlyThe small-town feelThe great environment - with only two contrasting "seasons" ie the wet and dry, and the incredible lightning displays, which u never get sick of watching. Fishing - I LOVE fishing, it is one of my adult kids main shared passion - but there are lots of other activities too, all sorts of sports catered for, pretty much any sporting/recreational activity you are into you can find here and the facilities are pretty good. However its just as expensive as all the other major cities. And u cant move around your power company we have one, and pay the big bucks for power, until u add solar panels.

• Obi1kenietzsche

Obi1kenietzsche

4 years ago

You mean Massey Greene Caravan Park? (Now called Massey Greene Holiday Park). Yep, it’s still there and going strong. My parent’s have been holidaying there for 55 years in a row (each Xmas holidays for 6 weeks).it was my home away from home so to speak. I remember the park when it had no power and had dirt roads!

So many memories for my siblings and I as a result, right from babies, to teenagers to adults.

I’ll be back there very soon for a drink in the Hotel Brunswick beer garden. 😊. Can’t wait!

Obi1

• peasandcarrots

peasandcarrots

4 years ago

Don't remember what it was called, was around 30 years ago. Just remember the boat ramp, the boat harbour, the rock wall that one side you were fishing in the river and the other side the boat harbour. Remember watching all the trawlers going in and out

• badboyhere

badboyhere

4 years ago

1770 is the best place in the world. Just outside of Gladstone and bundy. Look it up. Greg Chappell former Aust Cricket Captain owns most of it though. But still a great place under the sun

• RHP User

RHP User

4 years ago

Adelaide is actually top of my list of places to move to once I'm in a position to escape NQ. Assuming I can find a good job there.

• countrytouch82

countrytouch82

4 years ago

I've been in my current shack for 11 years now, 9 with my dog. I'm not that great with humidity, so the cooler south is good for me (including for my double coated dog). I could also picture myself living in Tasmania, or New Zealand, which, along with Vic and the high country including that in NSW, are also my favourite spots to holiday/hike/road trip.

• RHP User

RHP User

4 years ago

I absolutely love Queensland around the Gold Coast near the beaches and running tracks. I'm originally from Newcastle and left to find work. Melbourne has great schools and decent work opportunities. The weather...if you don't like it wait 5 minutes and it will change. I still can't get used to it being light at 9.30pm though. Seems to have great options in swingers clubs.

• NoRegretsEver

NoRegretsEver

4 years ago

Have lived at one point or other in every major city in Australia and been to quite a few other smaller centre's in all states, have to say Perth is it for me. Aside from being away from everywhere else it's not to busy or over crowded, great beaches, weather is nice, winery and breweries 30 mins outside of Perth. Originally from north qld and while I love visiting family and friends in Cairns and Brisbane and love the sunshine state, at the moment I'm pretty content in Perth. Downsides are cost of food, distance from the rest of Australia and therefore expensive to travel and not worth a weekend away but that's part of living here

• aldus1

aldus1

4 years ago

As an avid sailor my ideal spot would be on the western side of Lake Macquarie, away from the touristy eastern side, it’s close to Newcastle, Port Stephens and the Hunter Valley, yes I love my red wines, and it’s still close enough to Sydney to visit friends & family.
    My yacht on my doorstep & a full wine cellar, what more could one want 🤣🤣

• RHP User

RHP User

4 years ago

With the exception of 12 months living in a small
    town and 4 or 5 years at boarding school I have spent my whole life living and
    working in the 'bush' and wouldn't change that for quids. In saying that, I
    have had a look around the country a bit...climbed Ayre's Rock twice, if you
    ever get a chance you should have a look through the underground homes at
    Coober Pedey...amazing, spent a few days in Adelaide which I found fairly
    appealing due to lots of parks(the grass/trees/bushes kind) and I did think the
    'priority road' system was smart, been to Sydney a few times..love the Rocks
    area for the old buildings.

I had a chuckle when I read SpicyKale's gripe about living an hour from
    the nude beach....my local Woolworth's is a 2 hour drive, which when you think about
    is probably not that bad as there would be plenty of people in the bigger
    cities who spend that amount of time commuting to and from work every day.

I reckon home is wherever you feel 'at home' and you get satisfaction
    from doing whatever it is you do there. My piece of Australia has been owned by
    my family for 113 years so I have a great sense of 'belonging' and thoroughly
    enjoy what I do for a living.

• SpicyKale

SpicyKale

4 years ago

IamwhoIam, I know first world problem hey😊 It's about a 70km drive, you'd be surprised at how quickly we can get there after dumping the kids at school on a Tuesday! Grass is always greener though... we contemplate a move towards Maslins at the start of every summer😐

• RHP User

RHP User

4 years ago

Brunswick heads is a great spot, bit hippy, bit beachy, close to major city and hospitals and great bands play at the hotel.
    Nothing like a day getting your bum brown down greys lane then stopping for a coldie at Brunswick Heads Hotel.
    Perks of living in Brisbane it all doable.

• RHP User

RHP User

4 years ago

Even in this day and age when time seems to such a precious commodity for a lot of people, when one puts it into perspective, an hour or 2 is really no big deal. One might spend an hour or so over a meal or coffee with friends/family, more than a couple of hours reading a book or watching a movie. I find driving a good time to think, whether planning a job I need to do the next day or just 'blue sky' stuff about where I might like my businesses to be 5 years down the track etc. The trip to town for me is pretty relaxing with little traffic...although I do get a bit agitated at times through the winter when all the grey nomads are clogging up the road with their caravans and apparently unable to see in their rearview mirrors Given I would probably average a trip to town once a fortnight or so even the grey nomads aren't overly stressful and I must say they are not all discourteous with many who will pull over at the first oppurtunity to let you pass , I do sympathise with the truckies and others that drive the roads on a daily basis for a living and have to endure the discourteous ones.
    I reckon you're luckier than most in that your nude beach is only an hour away...I don't think there are any way up here and if there was I wouldn't be going into the water anyway...there's too many critters in the water with sharp teeth that can swim a lot faster than me

• RHP User

RHP User

4 years ago

I love my area...I’m not much of a city person but value being relatively close...if you’d consider 2 hours drive relatively close....

But I love the freshwater fishing areas I have access too, it provides decent getaways that don’t cost me anything really. But even without the fishing, just the ability to camp out in the bush sitting by a flowing river is an awesome escape ....

Though currently it’s rather hot and uncomfortable...

Mr dragon